Translate

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Not your father's oak anymore......

I have been trying to get a blog going for some time now.  Tonight I finally chose a name, and in the next few days I will work on getting the rest done, so I can actually start showing some of the projects I have been doing.  As the title suggests, this will be a new direction for me.  My dad was an antique dealer, who mainly dealt in European and American oak.  Every piece of furniture was done in golden oak stain.  When I lost my mom, I inherited some of these fabulous antique pieces, and while there are a few I would never touch, except to refinish in dark walnut, a few will take a much more daring path.  One that my dad would never imagine....yes I am going to paint them!  There I said it, sorry dad, but I want to live my life in fabulous color.

My name is Melody, and   I became a grandma 4 years ago to the most beautiful little creature that has captured my heart and soul.  Her name is Trinity and she has Cerebral Palsy, and seizures as a result of that.  It has been a journey to diagnosis, and different treatments.  Sometimes I think she is the reason I exist.  She has taught me patience and determination, and I would like to believe she improved me as a human being.  I will never see handicapped children or their families the same way again.  To deal with the stress that my job and advocating for my grandbaby caused I started junking, and goodwill hunting, and garage sale frequenting.  While I can not say that all my finds turned out to be treasure, I will tell you it has been the most relaxing thing in my life.  I love to paint, and I love the challenge of trying  to turn something that was ugly, into something beautiful.  I love Pottery Barn, and Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters etc, but they are beyond my reach, so I attempt to find and redo my own version of their beautiful furniture and decor.  I don't always succeed the 1st time, but I keep working at it until it's exactly how I wanted it.  It brings me peace and serenity.
When it comes to my particular style,  I can't just stay with one style, I love it all!  So I hope you will come back and visit me soon, as I will start posting a little bit of everything, from chandeliers to complete bedrooms, and a lot of transformed furniture along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment